Texas FDCPA Attorney
Debt collection agencies are required to adhere to a number of state and federal regulations. Perhaps the most important of these laws is the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). The FDCPA bars all types of conduct by debt collectors, including:
- Contacting a third party, such as a relative, neighbor or employer who does not owe the debt
- Making repeated telephone calls or telephone calls at unreasonable times. Per the FDCPA, unreasonable times are defined as before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Threatening to refer the account to an attorney, harm the debtor’s credit rating, repossession or garnishment, without intending to follow through on the threat
- Sending letters that appear to have come from a court
- Seeking collection fees, interest charges or taxes not permitted by contract or by state law
This is by no means a complete list of conduct barred by the FDCPA. The fact is that debt collectors violate the FDCPA all the time. Generally speaking, if one person has been harmed by a debt collection agency, it is likely that others have been harmed by similar conduct. If you have reason to believe you are the victim of abusive or illegal actions by a debt collector, it is critical to discuss these issues with a knowledgeable lawyer.
Texas Debt Collection Lawyer Serving Debtors Across The Nation
Debt collection agencies typically handle a large number of files at a given time. Frequently, these agencies rely on form letters that are sent to hundreds, if not thousands of people. When the contents of these letters violate the FDCPA, it is likely that hundreds or thousands of people have a claim for damages.
With more than two decades of legal experience, Walt Roper knows how to investigate the case and build the strongest possible claim for damages. If a debt collection agency has repeatedly violated the law, he will find these violations and take the steps necessary to bring a class action. If you have a cause of action as an individual, he can bring this claim as well. In every case, you can rely on Walt’s professionalism and dedication.
Contact The Roper Firm, P.C.
Call or complete the online contact form to schedule your free initial consultation.